Monday, November 3, 2014

Microsoft Surface Pro 3 first experience

Last week my new work device was delivered, a Microsoft Surface Pro 3. I decided to order one because of great look & feel, very good feedback (reviews) and Windows 10 in pipeline. In the past I did have a Surface (1) RT, but that was not actually what I wanted. This device however is a real notebook killer, no need to have a notebook next to this one. Great to experience the whole Windows look & feel, with touchscreen and pen functionality. With Windows 10 in pipeline this will become even better! Really happy with my choice here ;)
 
 
Because Surface Pro 3 is delivered with Windows 8.1 Pro, and Enterprise is needed for Direct Access functionality, I upgraded my device. Just start an inplace upgrade, so no need to format or remove anything. After the upgrade type in the new Windows Enterprise key and you're done! Just leave the recovery partition inplace, so when there's something wrong you can start a rollback. I did that once, so just leave it when needed sometime. After the upgrade however I did not see Windows 8.1 Update 1 features setup. This will be done at a later moment, when more software updates are installed.
 
When the power button on the start menu is needed, use registry instead. For it seems the power button is not displayed always, given the fact the operating system can be used in desktop or tablet mode. Just start registry editor and browse to "HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Software > Microsoft > Windows > CurrentVersion > ImmersiveShell". Expand the tree and create a new key called "Launcher". Create a new DWORD (32-bit) value here called "Launcher_ShowPowerButtonOnStartScreen". Give it a value of "1" to activate it and start the device again. Now it will be visible at once.

Nice thing that I worked whole day with type cover and pen. No mouse? Actually I didn't miss it today. With the pen you can do all daily operations also, without the need for a mouse. Curious if I switch back to a mouse or using the pen instead. Time will tell ;)

Can't wait for Windows 10 to complete my Surface experience! Expect more to come in a few weeks, when I did more on my device!
-My personal experience with Windows 10 Technical Preview
-Windows 10 Technical Preview updated with 7,000 changes and fixes  

When the pen isn't working right (open OneNote with a single click and Screen Capture with a double click) check these guides too:
-Quick Things to Try If Your Surface Pro 3 Pen Doesn’t Work
-Deploying Surface Pro 3 Pen and OneNote Tips
-Troubleshoot Surface Pen

No comments:

Post a Comment